Monday, February 2, 2009

Stephanie Buday, Ch. 5

I would first like to comment on "Theories of Literacy Pedagogy" from chapter 5 of Scaffolding Language, Scaffolding Learning . From my understanding, this is referring to the "correct" strategy or method that is to be taught by teachers in order for successful literacy performance by students. I found this to be interesting because there are many different methods to be used when teaching a student how to read, and who is to say one works better then the other? I feel that there are so many different methods due to such a diverse group of learners teachers encounter in the classroom. One student may learn better through phonics, while another may learn better through a whole-word approach. It stated that not one specific method is known as working better or worse, but that the different approaches just focus on different literacies. As long as a child can take on the four related roles that were mention in chapter 5 with the chosen method of learning, I do not feel that there is necessarily a right or wrong way.
I also wanted to briefly comment on the before, during, and after reading activities. I cannot stress enough the importance of these activities during a reading lesson. I feel that it engages the student, and keeps them interesting with what they are reading. In the classroom that I am in currently, I noticed the main problem during reading groups is that the students are bored. They do not have any interest in what they are reading. I feel that if the CT incorporated fun activities that are mentioned in our book, the students may be more engaged in what they are reading, and would get more out of the lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    I completely agree with your thought on there not being one way to teach a child how to read/write. In fact, I don't think there is one way to teach anything. This is strictly because when you are standing in front of the class you are either reading/verbalizing, showing something up front or having them do an activity or they are taking notes on what you are presenting (what they can see)/talking about. Right there your students are engaging in at least two different strategies.
    However, I would like to add that if the student is able to take on at least 2 of the 4 roles Chapter 5 talks about they are at least heading in the right direction- it's not like you can take those skills away. These students still need to be taught, they just have to be taught to be proficient at those other two skills.
    Finally, just a comment about the students being bored during reading time: my CT told me last semester to try and get copies for each student with the article I was having them read, that way they have something to follow along with and understand what you are reading to hopefully a deeper level. It makes all the difference in the world having them focus in on something rather than them just staring at the front, even if they are able to see the book. Or maybe go to a few libraries and see if you can check a few copies out for the day/week so you can get your assignment done without any behavioral issues in the class.

    ReplyDelete