In Weinstein and Mignano, chapter 10, I focused on the idea of recitation versus group discussion. I found this topic to be interesting because it is something that I do not see that often in my class. The only time I really feel that I witness group discussion is during reading groups, when my CT is asking them questions about what they have just read, but that often seems to be more recitation style as it is talked about in the group. We as teachers need to be careful on how much emphasis we are putting on recitation talk versus group discussion. I Feel that some teachers may try or would like to do more group discussion, but because of the stress in the amount of material and lack of time, teachers end up falling back into recitation style rather then discussion/teaching. As mentioned in the book, we as teachers need to watch out for continuous recitation teacher, but also need to know how to conduct a whole group discussion so that is it results in successful learning for the students.
I also wanted to just briefly comment on the rubric website. I found this website to be very resourceful. It has so much to offer for a wide range of grades and subject areas. It is something that I will definitely use in my future teaching career.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment