Monday, February 2, 2009

Chapter 5

The reading for this week really brought to light the importance of reading literacy and the complexity of effort it takes from student and teacher to create a good reader. As I learned, reading is not just accomplished from looking and reciting the text, but it is comprehended through pre-questions and follow-up questions. Questions can also be asked during the reading as well. These questions can check for understanding and also engage the reader into the type of thoughts that they will come across when reading the text. Another point about reading, is the role of reading literacy with ESL students. These students have a more difficult time when it comes to reading as they are at a disadvantage from other students of their age.
The reading was easy for me to relate to (as I'm sure it is for others as well). In my classroom, I am constantly engaging with the students in various reading activities. I work with a couple of ESL students as well as some kindergarteners who barely know half of their letters. The comprehension questions don't necessarily apply as much when the kids are reading books to me that have no storyline, however they do listen to a chapter book that the teacher reads and are asked comprehension questions in regards to that. Asking students questions about letter sounds has helped me work with students and their reading literacy.

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely see where these steps would need to be altered for a Kindergarten class, however I wonder if you were to use it just for comprehension in their class, how much would they get. In other words, maybe you would help them with their memory concepts. I have never been in a Kindergarten class though so I really don't know how low they are in regards to being able to read/write/comprehend.
    Converting the steps down to the letter-sound knowledge relationships is a great example that most steps are not just for one process. You can always tweek them to be used for multiple purposes in multiple different levels.

    ReplyDelete