The Weinstein and Mignano article in Chapter 10 concerning managing recitations and discussions really got me thinking about how these apply to the kindergarten classroom for my field placement. Weinstein and Mignano break down the hazards of recitation exercises from the teacher, as they often overpower the students but do a good job of maintaining attention levels and checking for understanding. Discussions, they add, are able to achieve a slower pace and a more equal-role between student and teacher. However, discussions can sometimes exclude certain students whom choose not to participate as actively as others. Teachers often will back out of discussions so that the students can take the lead. This lack of leadership from the teacher can sometimes cause quieter students to sort of "check out" of the conversation.
In my field placement. I often see the teacher often lead recitation exercises during the lessons. Because of the students young ages, they often appear incapable of participating in a fluent discussion. The CT also feels that recitation can serve as a form of assessment. I feel this is best for Kindergartners and I am failing to figure out how to incorporate higher-level thinking skills into a discussion-based activity. I feel recitation at such a young age can lead to the greatest productivity and achievement levels for the students and perhaps discussion-based lessons should be slowly Incorporated more in the coming years.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment