Monday, March 30, 2009

Tompkins Chapter 3

The reading for this week got me thinking more about how reading instruction is applied to the learning of the kindergarten students that I observe. Tompkins talks a lot about reading strategies for younger level students. Some of the strategies that I feel are very important are predicting and asking questions. I feel predicting really helps engage the students into what they are reading. I use this practice a lot, even when the students are doing their individual "quiet reading". I've found that by going around and asking kids about what they think will happen in a story before they read it, they are more likely to attempt to read that story, rather then just staring at the cover or just leaving the book on the ground. During reading, it is important to stop the student and not only re-cap what happened so far in the story, but also recall the predictions that were made and perhaps edit those predictions. I really liked how Tompkins talked about different ways to teach aspects such as writing letters and working on phonetics (sounds). These are aspects that also apply to my field work.

1 comment:

  1. Joey,
    I couldn't agree more. I have found that prediction works well with the 2nd grade level as well. I have witnessed this a lot in my classroom as well. I agree that it makes the students more engaged in the story when they have something to look forward to in the end. For example, I know that my students are always anxious to get to the end of the book to see if their predictions that were made at the beginning match with the outcome of the story. I have found that prediction is a consistent way to keep students motivated, for the younger grades especially. Keeping the students motivated is extremely important in engaging the students for comprehension. As teachers we need to make sure that we can direct motivation in many different ways to connect the students with all the different concepts being taught throughout the school year.

    ReplyDelete