Monday, January 26, 2009

Owens, Hester, Teale article

Inquiry Based Learning and Technology

This article focused on inquiry-based learning and how technology can make inquiry-based learning an effective tool for all students, and in particular how it can serve as a motivational tool for underachieving students. Inquiry-based learning, as I found out from the authors, is learning not just the information, but also the who's, what's, when's, and why's, etc. and most importantly, how one can use the information effectively.
A great point that the authors also made, was that technology has enhanced the effectiveness of this form of learning for students, as they can now use the internet to research material, as well as using various forms of presentation tools like PowerPoint, Video, Graphing, etc. According to the authors, students become more engaged and motivated by their ability to choose a topic of interest and to have many tools in which to research it.
Inquiry-based learning is something I would like to become more familiar with as it seems to be a popular tool for both teachers and students. I have not had much experience with this in my field as I am in a Kindergarten room currently. However, I am interested in how to use Inquiry-based learning as an aspect of my day, and not a comprehensive tool, as Owens, Hester, and Teale describe it.

1 comment:

  1. Joey,
    I after reading your blog comments, I couldn't help but not relate it to the article I read. I most certainly agree with technology as a way of being able to engage students more, especially when their is a variety of tools to do so. I think this helps students become more motivated toward the goal at task, especially for those who are underachieving, like you mentioned. I remember being excited in middle school when we were told to do a project that must have powerpoint. It was definitely a factor that motivated me more for the project.
    I most definitely agree with inquiry-based learning as well, but what stuck out the most was when you stated, "how one can use the information effectively" because that is something that is extremely important that we as teachers help our students with. Having students use this technology is pointless if students are using it incorrectly and not effectively. I think teachers are needed to guide students in making sure they are using the technology in a useful and productive manner.In Schmar-Dobler, it discussed how teachers can use what students already know about their skills in print and text, and apply it to the digital world. Guide your students to use comprehension in technology like they do for reading. Asking themselves questions, summarizing, etc. I think this would be a good way to be sure that one is using the information effectively.

    -Stephanie Buday

    ReplyDelete